Saturday, April 18, 2015

Reflections on Brain Injury

I spent the last few days at the Nebraska Brain Injury Conference and, as usual, it renewed my passion for my work and reminded me that it is important that I continue to do the work I do.  I was talking about it with my son at lunch today and realized that although the work I have done in my life has not always been in the same field, it has all culminated in me being where I am today, where I am needed.
I started out a speech pathology major and graduated with a BS in education.  I went on to grad school, but never completed my Masters in Speech Path.  I got married and had my kids and they became the focus of my life.  I took the jobs that I could get that allowed me to make sure that my kids were being taken care of.  But it's all good.  Those jobs included management experience, accounting and budgeting, marketing, communication, fundraising, event planning, and networking.  My education in speech path, gave me an education in brain injury and special education.  All of thise makes sense now if the job I do as the Manager of Employment Services for individuals with Intellecutal and Developmental Disabilities and Brain Injuries.
I feel incredibly grateful to work one-on-one with the individuals that I do.  It has allowed me to gain special experience in helping individuals with brain injuries join or rejoin the workforce.  It is experience that not many people have.  
Attending the Brain Injury Conference also reminds me that life is unpredictable.  A brain injury can happen to anyone at anytime.  Many of my clients woke up one day, not expecting anything life changing to happen, but it did.  They experienced a brain injury that not only changed their life forever, but also changed the lives of all those that care for them.
One of the things that I learned while at the conference that I have to admit, was new information to me, was that the sooner  someone is able to return to work following a brain injury the better they tend to do cognitively.  Yet many people don't think they can return to work, or don't try to return to work until years later usually.  I have seen the effects that not working can have on these individuals.  Depression, drug abuse, alcoholism, and limited social interaction, are only a few of the problems that have resulted from having too much time on their hands.  
Being able to work changes peoples lives.  I know this because I have seen it.  It allows them to increase their financial stability, to have a purpose, to meet new people, and to increase their self esteem.  It's hard to believe that someone experiences a brain injury every 11 minutes in the united states, and that at least one person a day in the state of Nebraska experiences one.  So I will continue to do the work I do.  I am thinking a lot these days about how the brain injury program can be expanded and improved, so I am asking for the support of anyone who may read this blog.  If you have been touched by brain injury, I invite you to share your experiences with me, especially as it relates to employment.  Let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment